In order to transfer an audiobook to an iPod, you'll need to:
- Have new versions of iTunes and the OverDrive Media Console installed on your PC or Mac.
- Download the audiobook using the default download location.
- On a PC, the audiobook should automatically open (and continue to download) with the OverDrive Media Console. On a Mac, depending on the browser used, you may have to double-click the file to open the audiobook in the OMC.
- With iTunes running and your iPod plugged into the computer, start the transfer from the OMC.
- WMA audiobooks will take about 2-4 minutes per part to convert to a Mac-friendly file format.
- Make sure both iTunes and OMC are up to date. I had one case where a person had an earlier version of the OverDrive Media Console on their computer and installed a new version without uninstalling the old version. (Typically that not a problem.) In turns out the newest version (3.x) was a big upgrade, and really needs a clean installation. If you had an earlier version of the OMC installed from a year or two ago, install and reinstall the OMC. (It only take a few minutes and it's worth trying...)
- Make sure iTunes is up and running before attempting to transfer an audiobook.
- Make sure the iPod has been recognized by iTunes (you should see the name of your iPod listed on the left sidebar in iTunes.
- If this is the first time transferring an audiobook, pay attention to the prompts (given in the OMC) to make some changes to your iTunes settings.
- Always download the audiobook to the default download location, ultimately opening it with the OverDrive Media Console. Never change the download location. Always create the new folders the firest time you use the service when prompted to do so. Don't try to open the file with iTunes. The file must first be opened in the OMC to manage the DRM.
And for those looking for more information, here's our librarian handout for PC users:
Additional iPod Resources:
How to Delete Audiobooks from an iPod:
Handout for Mac Users:
Managing MP3 Audiobooks on an iPod: