Monday, February 13, 2012

Changes to Kindle Lending from Penguin

The 870 (my best count) eBooks in our New Hampshire Downloadable Books collection published by Penguin can no longer be wirelessly transferred to a Kindle device. In order to read the Penguin titles on your Kindle, you will need to download the title to your computer and use the USB cable to transfer the title to your Kindle.

Please know that the publisher requested this change. 

Download the PDF handout of these instructions.

Here's how it worked for me: 

Browse and check out a Kindle Book. If you see the notice that the notice about "...via USB only," follow these instructions.

Click any image to see a larger version!

Add the title to your cart, proceed to checkout, and confirm your checkout of the Kindle Book format.


 

When you get to this page, click the "Get for Kindle" button the same as always. 


A new tab will open. If you are not already logged into the Amazon site, you may see a similar screen. I couldn't figure out how to sign in AND keep my library loan. 


So instead, I logged into Amazon, closed the tab, and went back to the nh.lib.overdrive.com tab and clicked on the "Get for Kindle" button again. This time the site gave me an option to download the title. 


Select the device you want to read the book on. 



The file will download to the default download location. The browser you use and the download settings saved in your browser matter! Since I'm using Chrome right now, the file showed up at the bottom of my screen. It was ultimately saved to my desktop (my default download location).


Plug your Kindle device into your computer. You'll need to be able to look into the Kindle Touch's folders. Browse for the "Documents" folder using Windows Explorer (Windows) or the Finder (Mac). Or on a Windows computer, wait for the computer to detect the Kindle and the AutoPlay screen to pop up. Using AutoPlay, select "Open Folder to View Files." Find the Documents folder. 

I found the Kindle Book file on my desktop and dragged it into the Documents folder of my USB-connected Kindle. 


Safely disconnect the Kindle from your computer and view the Kindle's home screen to see the library loan. 



Check out this video from Amazon for better instructions! 

These instructions are only for Kindle devices -- not the Kindle apps on phones or tablets. Remember that many tablets and phones can have the OverDrive Media Console installed to read EPUB eBooks in our collection.