If you have a Kindle Fire...
- Most, but not all of the eBooks in our collection are compatible with the Kindle Fire without an additional app.
- All of the eBooks (EPUB format) can be used on the Kindle Fire with a free app.
- Some of the audiobooks can be played on the Kindle Fire with a free app.
- Kindle Books
- Most Kindle Books can be transferred wirelessly via Wi-Fi to the device.
- The Kindle Books published by Penguin require you to download the Kindle Book to a computer and transfer it to the device with a USB cable. This requirement is expected to be removed soon.
- Adobe EPUB eBooks
- By installing a free app (OverDrive Media Console) from the device's App Store, you will be able to download and read EPUB eBooks in the OMC app.
- MP3 Audiobooks
- By installing a free app (OverDrive Media Console) from the device's App Store, you will be able to download and listen to audiobooks in the OMC app.
- OverDrive READ eBooks
- The newest, second generation Kindle Fire's browser handles the OverDrive READ eBook format nicely. (The first generation browser does not.) No app is required to open the READ eBook and start reading.)
- You must have a library card in good standing from one of the 200 member New Hampshire Public Libraries.
- You need to know your card number and perhaps a library account PIN or prefix. Contact your local librarian for more information.
- You will need to know your Amazon ID (email address) and password to get Kindle Books onto your device.
- If using the OMC app, you will need to know how to install an app on your Kindle Fire. You'll also have to register for a free Adobe ID and authorize the app with that ID.
- You can use a computer or the tablet's web browser to visit our NHDB site and checkout eBooks and MP3 audiobooks.
- Most of the Kindle Books can be transferred wirelessly to your Kindle Fire. Make sure you are connected to a local wireless network for the transfer to happen.
- At this time, Kindle BOoks published by Penguin Publishers cannot be transferred wirelessly to a Kindle. You must download the Kindle Book to a computer and transfer it with a USB cable. This is expected to change in the near future.
- If you are reading Kindle Books, the books will load to the home screen just like your purchased Kindle Books.
- If using the OMC app to download EPUB eBooks or MP3 audiobooks, remember to look for your titles in the app to read or listen to.
Read the blog post Kindle Book Instructions
Download the PDF of the Kindle Book Instructions
Learn how to transfer Kindle Books with a USB cable from a computer
Learn how to install and use the OMC app on a Kindle Fire
Learn how to enjoy the OverDrive READ format on a second generation Kindle Fire
Learn how to return Kindle Books early to the collection
Learn how to delete expired titles from the Kindle
Learn how to return EPUB eBooks and MP3 audiobooks early from the OMC app