OverDrive READ eBooks
Without a doubt, the READ format is the easiest and quickest way to get reading eBooks on a computer.
- After checking out an eBook, visit "Account."
- Click on the blue button "Read in Your Browser" next to the desired title.
- The entire eBook will open in a new window or tab of your browser.
- Use the right arrow key on your keyboard to easily turn the pages.
Bookmark the eBook just like you'd bookmark a favorite website. I like to click, drop, and drag a "favicon" to the bookmarks bar of my browser, but there are many ways to accomplish the same thing.
Add a bookmark by simply clicking the top-right corner of the page.
It is usually possible to download the READ eBook for offline reading. Click on the center of the screen to get menu options. Click on the menu icon in the upper-left corner of the screen and select "Offline Access."
Here's how to return the OverDrive READ format early to the collection.
If you have a Kindle or Amazon account, it is quick to check out an eBook in the Kindle Book format and start reading immediately on a computer with the Kindle Cloud Reader.
- While in your NHDB account, select the title in the Kindle Book format.
- You are brought to the eBook's item record in Amazon.
- Click "Get Library Book" and sign into the site if necessary.
- Select "Kindle Cloud Reader" as your preferred delivery location.
- (Note that if you are already signed into the site, you'll receive the option to select the "Kindle Cloud Reader" immediately. If you are not signed into Amazon with the correct account, you'll need to click "Get Library Book," sign into the site, and they select "Kindle Cloud Reader.")
- Click on the link "Read now in Kindle Cloud Reader" to open the Kindle Book in your browser.
- The first time using Kindle Cloud Reader on a new computer, you'll be given the option to set up the Cloud Reader for offline reading.
- Turn the pages with the right arrow key on your keyboard or by clicking the right arrow on the screen.
- Make note of the various reader settings and bookmarking options that appear to the top of the page when the mouse is moved.
Here's how to return the Kindle Book early to the collection.
Another option for Windows and Mac users is to download and install Adobe Digital Editions and checkout the title in EPUB format. Note that you will also need to register for a free Adobe ID prior to downloading the EPUB title if you wish to return the eBook early.
Please see this blog post for step-by-step instructions for installing ADE 2.0 and registering for a new Adobe ID.
Here's how to return the EPUB eBooks early from Adobe Digital Editions 2.0